The “Fantastic Dust Monkey” Spotify Playlist (I Hate Radio)
The Fantastic Dust Monkey Spotify Playlist
Every Tuesday (or Monday night) I put out a new curated playlist for your listening enjoyment. You can "Just Hit Play" or check out the song list below for Easter Eggs about the bands.
Last week's playlist was my "Killer Fish Guy" Playlist.
Explore, Enjoy, and Share Music!
1. Louder In Outer Space, Skating Polly, New Trick (El Camino Media, 2017)
Skating Polly reminds me of many of the indie bands I loved in the 90's. This is a great song, very cinematic (will include the video below)
2. Don't Get Your Hopes Up, Bad Sport, Living With Secrets (Dirtnap Records, 2016)
Good classic low-frills punk from Bad Sport. Enjoyed this album but it didn't make the cut for my best of 2016 list.
3. Monkey Wrench, Foo Fighters, The Color and the Shape (Capitol, 1997)
Holy cow time flies. I am kind of a lukewarm Foo's fan but I did like Color and the Shape, not least because I was happy to see Pat Smear back playing music (he was both in Germs and Nirvana and, as you might know, both lost their singers RIP).
4. Sex Music, Beak>, Single (Invada Records, 2017)
This is from Geoff Barrow (one of the members of Portishead), and since I loved Portishead...Ipso Facto, - through the transitive property - I love Beak>.
5. Fantastic Man, William Onyeabor, Who Is William Onyeabor (Luaka Bop, 2013)
I was minding my own business watching television and noticed the incredible funk of the late great William Onyeabor in an Apple Commercial (see above). RIP William Onyeabor - you were truly a funk genius and are missed. Anyway, this is the song from the commercial so if you didn't know - now you know.
6. Wash My Hands Shorty, The ILY's, Bodyguard (Castle Face, 2017)
This is from the new album by ILY's which is a band comprised of two of the members of the band Death Grips. Great stuff IMHO!
I loved Das Racist, I love Heem, and I love Swet Shop Boys. At least I am consistent.
8. Scotland, The Wedding Present, The Home Internationals (Rough Trade, 2017)
Beautiful new song by The Wedding Present. Really powerfully moving stuff.
9. Glam, Walrus, Family Hangover (Madic Records, 2017)
This is a song from a Canadian band that I don't know much about. Good solid post-punk bass feel. I like it.
10. Parachute, Tracy Bryant, Single (Volar, 2017)
This is a new two-song release from the singer of the band corners (who I have featured a few times here before).
11. Former, Marbled Eye, EP II (Melters, 2017)
This is a song off of the second EP (duh) from Oakland's "Marbled Eye." Good stuff!
12. Bug Powder Dust, The Mysterons, Meandering (Excelsior, 2017)
I felt like this was also a really cinematic song and completed the circle started by Skating Polly. The Mysterons are from Amsterdam. Wow, this was a pretty diverse playlist if I do say so myself.
Okay, another playlist down. Hope you enjoyed it!