"The Damn Pinhead War" Spotify Playlist (I Hate Radio)
"The Damn Pinhead War" Spotify Playlist
Every Tuesday (or Monday night) I put out a new curated playlist for your listening enjoyment. You can "Just Hit Play" or check out the song list below for Easter Eggs about the bands.
I call these playlists "Mixed-Tape style playlists" because I try to limit them to between 40 and 50 minutes just like when I used to mix cassette tapes back in the day.
Last week's playlist was my tribute to one of my all-time favorite bands New Order.
And, as always, Explore, Enjoy, and Share Music!
The Songs, Artists, and Information
1. The Pure And The Damned, Oneohtrix Point Never (Iggy Pop), “Good Time” Movie Soundtrack (2017)
Iggy Pop’s voice just sounds too great on this not to include this here. For some reason, Iggy is reminding me of American Recordings era Johnny Cash here. Great stuff.
2. The System Ony Dreams In Total Darkness, The National, Sleep Well Beast (4AD, 2017)
The National are back, this is an interesting tune and has some swing to it. I am a long time fan (of course I am) and looking forward to seeing where they are heading musically in 2017.
3. 16 Psyche, Chelsea Wolfe, Hiss Spun (Sargent House, 2017)
I absolutely loved Chelsea Wolfe’s last album Abyss. So excited she is back, and wow this is a great start.
4. No Relief, Trapped Under Ice, Heatwave (Pop Wig, 2017)
Wanted to take a list that had been very meticulously produced in a totally different direction and then take it all the way back. This is a good bridge song. Great stuff from Trapped Under Ice.
5. War Is Hell, Ho99o9, United States of Horror (Caroline Distribution, 2017)
Another band that hasn’t gotten much ink but whose new album is pretty smoking. I mean dude might be right, we might be playing politics when the folks on the other side are playing war. I have been saying for months that Jeff Sessions sees success in the drug war where we all see failure. So, yeah, dark days indeed.
6. X-Men, Lil Yachty, Teenage Emotions (Virgin EMI, 2017)
I am still not entirely sold on LY, but this is heading more in my kind of direction (I hate the auto-tune stuff).
7. Pinhead, Ramones, Leave Home (Sire, 1977)
Sigh, I will always love including the Ramones on playlists and to be celebrating the 40th anniversary of Leave Home is cool too - but it kills me that all four of the original Ramones have passed away. RIP!
8. Where Were You, Mekons, Heaven and Hell (Cooking Vinyl, 1978)
Love the Mekons, never included them before. Mea Culpa. This song has always been one of my favorites.
9. I Got Cut, Superchunk, Maxi-Single Benefiting Planned Parenthood (2017)
I have also always liked Superchunk and this benefit maxi-single was a great reason to include them (plus the song is great).
10. Discipline, BBoys, Dada (Captured Tracks, 2017)
Talk about no press, every song I have heard from this album has been great, but it is nearly impossible to find any press on them. I hate the music industry today.
11. Never Been Wrong, Waxahatchee, Out In The Storm (Matador, 2017)
Okay, I probably include way too much of the Crutchfield sisters on my lists. What can I say, I am a fan.
12. Everything Now, Arcade Fire, Everything Now (Columbia, 2017)
I am that guy who likes a bit of everything, I believe genres are ingredients in recipes and I don’t enforce borders. In other words, I can love Ho99o9 and also love The National and Arcade Fire. I find Arcade Fire always interesting (they use some kind of flute on this track - always new ideas and combos...I appreciate that).
Been an awesome week, the Orange Is the New Black stuff has been doing really well and it was nice to kick out another Mr. Robot piece after a long hiatus. Hope it has been a great week for all of you too.
The crazy names of the playlists were inspired by Captain Beefheart.
See you next week for another OPS Playlist.